The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

A Beginner’s Guide to Prom!

A Beginners Guide to Prom!

Prom has arrived once again for the students of Alta High, and with less than a month until the big day, first-timers may be wondering what prom is all about. Prom is a time-honored tradition at Alta, with fun musical themes, like last year’s theme: ‘Can’t Help Falling In Love’. This year’s theme is ‘Until I Found You’, a song released by Stephen Sanchez in 2021. Prom will be hosted at the Utah State Capitol from 8:30-10:30pm on March 23rd.

However, those are just the basics. What are the real things that newcomers should know about prom?

“Is it really like the movies?” asks Sofia Eyzaguirre, a prom rookie.

“…Going to dances is… a very fun experience, but it’s not like the movies at all,” states Vall Lobo, a dance expert. Vall has been to about ten dances, here at Alta and Juan Diego, since freshman year. “The first time I went to a dance, I probably would have liked to know that mosh pits are a pretty common thing, and I should probably wear sneakers and not heels.” 

What are some of the basics of prom, things that even freshmen should know? 

“You have to pay to go,” says Sofia. “I didn’t know you had to pay for prom until a couple weeks ago.” 

The prom tickets are $20 online and $30 at the door, so it’s smart to get tickets online for this fun, formal dress event.

“…And the dance itself, just let loose, just dance, just have fun, and it’s gonna be great,” says Vall.

Remember, the Utah Capitol on March 23rd, from 8:30-10:30pm. It’ll be a blast!