Dawson Lewis

Members of the Varsity Team listen to Coach Zog during their game with Corner Canyon.

Covid and Quarantines Interrupt Volleyball Season

The Alta Volleyball team has worked tirelessly to become the best players that they can be, but a mid-season Covid quarantine did not help. The girls will be back on the court today.

The team was quarantined September 22 when one player tested positive for Covid-19. That led to the cancellation of a game that day and for the next two weeks.

Volleyball is the type of sport that when players don’t practice for even just a few days, they lose all of the good momentum, and taking two weeks off of practice and games is detrimental to the season; however, players have been keeping in touch and checking up on teammates and also doing individual workouts and home practice. They are excited to hit the court and play out the rest of the season.

In spite of all the setbacks, the three assistant coaches and Head coach, Mike Gansauge “Zog” are constantly figuring out new ways to become successful. It has become apparent to everyone involved that this year is a building year. This season pretty much everyone is focused on growing as players.

“This season is a building year, Junior and Varsity team captain, Ella Bigs said. “With a lot of new faces on Varsity it’ll take some time for us to mesh as a team, but we’re making progress daily!”

So far the season has had more losses than wins, but that’s doesn’t deter their competitive spirit. They continue to work hard even in the face of adversity.

For Tenley Derieg, it’s important to keep going when the wins don’t pile up. “I think that our strengths are being strong individuals and being able to keep going even when times get tough!”

There is no doubt that everyone on the volleyball team, from the fifteen freshman to the two seniors all have a special bond. Everyone on the team loves all the players.

“I am excited to play and come closer to the team,” Tenley said, “I love all the people on the team and I am so glad to call them my volleyball family!”

There is no doubt that the team will be working hard all season long to become better players and people. Everyone is hopeful that their season won’t be cut short so they are savoring every moment they get to spend together.