Tips for Family Trips

Lagoon Opening for the 2021 Season!

These last few weeks it’s been everywhere- billboards, social media, news sites- Lagoon seems to be the talk. Not only is this the 135th anniversary of when the park originally opened back in 1886, but it is the Roller Coaster’s 100th birthday! 

Being one of the most popular places in Utah over the summer, Lagoon is constantly growing and adding new features to make the park suitable for each and every one of its guests. One of the most extraordinary things about Lagoon is the history. Generation after generation of families choose to come back again for fun that all can enjoy. 

It all started as a destination for the railroad on the edge of the Great Salt Lake in 1886, and over the next few decades would evolve and relocate. In the 1940’s, after World War II, the Freed brothers decided to invest in the park, lease, and eventually buy it from the original owner, Simon Bamberger. Since then, the park has grown and expanded like no other. During the 60’s and 70’s, Lagoon was the hotspot for performers such as The Beach Boys, Ella Fitzgerald, The Rolling Stones, and Johnny Cash. Lagoon also has a waterpark, campground, biergarten, and pioneer village. To this day, the Freed family still runs Lagoon and is constantly improving and adding anything they can to make it fun and safe for everyone. 

When asked why she thinks people keep coming back year after year, Julie Freed, spokesperson of Lagoon and granddaughter of Peter Freed, said, “We have something for everybody in the family.” She goes on to say, “It has been our goal from the beginning as a family owned business… People can look forward to just making memories again and having fun.” She is very passionate about everything Lagoon, and can often be seen around the park alongside her colorful pup. 

When looking to purchase season passports, Lagoon offers quite a few deals. This year, they have the first ever carry-over pass, meaning for anyone that paid for but didn’t redeem their 2020 pass will automatically get to use it this year. Season passports, as well as single day passes, are available for purchase all year, and are now accessible from your phone, so no physical pass is required. 

With over 50 rides, around 20 restaurants, and this year celebrating our very own roller coaster’s 100th birthday, the 2021 season will be one you don’t want to miss. Come join the fun with everything Lagoon has to offer!