Alex Berry

The girls basketball team practices in the newly remodeled gym. The lighting and white walls make for a brighter, welcoming atmosphere.

Alta’s New Gym is here!

Alta’s gym is a big part of the school and over the years it’s been through many changes, but the most recent change seems to be people’s favorite.

The gym renovation has benefited the school, sports teams, and many clubs. The new gym is much brighter which helps with taking photos and making assemblies run much smoother.

Workers changed the floor, painted the walls, installed a new scoreboard, and much more. The improvements to the gym will be very beneficial for everyone and anyone that uses the area according to Assistant Principal Steve Bailey.

As nice as the gym is, it came at a cost to many sports teams that were left ‘homeless’ at the start of this school year causing them to find new places to practice.

The new Alta gym is BEAUTIFUL!! it’s bright, welcoming, and very spacious. Although I wasn’t here last year I know that there is such a big difference. I hope we can all enjoy the beautiful gym.

— Adilee Dake

With the completion of the gym, teams can practice and Alta can once again host region competitions.

Athletes and spectators aren’t the only people looking forward the new gym. The yearbook staff is ecstatic because the white walls and bright lights improve the quality of photographs.

“The new paint around the gym has helped a lot when taking pictures,” said Yearbook Adviser Denise Ferguson. “We don’t have the brown and orange color reflecting in the photos, so we won’t have to photoshop every photo we put in the yearbook.”

We all know that this has been a stressful process for the school itself, but for the workers as well. Throughout the process, they faced many challenges with what’s going on in the world and the weather as well. The weather had affected the wood for the gym which postponed the renovation for a while and since the school’s renovation started years ago many changes have happened that affected the time they were given to finish the work.

Now the gym is up and running and ready for “business.” The gym made its debut at this year’s Veteran’s assembly and it will host wrestling meets and basketball games in the coming months.

This basketball photo from 2006 shows the brick walls of the gym. The newly painted white walls allow for a brighter, happier atmosphere. (Yearbook Archives)