Lifetouch Photo

Canyons Board of Education announced the appointment of Ken Rowley to be principal at Alta after Dr. McGill accepted a job as director of Canyons District Student Services.

Ken Rowley to Become New Alta Principal

Dr. McGill is stepping down to fulfill the position of Canyon's Director of Student Services.

Alta Students were greatly saddened on Monday, November 30th to hear that Dr. McGill will no longer be their principal. McGill accepted a job as Canyon’s Director of Student Services and will be leaving in mid-January to be succeeded by Ken Rowley, an assistant principal from Corner Canyon.

Mr. Rowley has been working in education for 26 years and is excited to take on this new challenge. “I am excited about this opportunity at Alta High,” he said, “I’m appreciative of the trust that I’ve been given by the Canyons Board of Education and the Administration. I mean, we’re talking about Alta High. Alta is well-known and well-respected everywhere.”

I’m appreciative of the trust that I’ve been given by the Canyons Board of Education and the Administration. I mean, we’re talking about Alta High. Alta is well-known and well-respected everywhere.

— Ken Rowley

Rowley graduated from Brigham Young University in 1995, then from Western Governors University in 2002, and received an administrative endorsement from Southern Utah University in 2004. He worked on the executive board of the Utah Association of Secondary School Principals, the Utah Teaching Standards Committee, the Utah Educator Leadership Standards Committee, and as a Facilitator for the Principal Partnership professional development in the Central Utah Region. He also taught Spanish and History for 11 years at Juab High School and was then principal of Juab Junior High for 15 years. Recently, he’s been serving as Corner Canyon High School’s Assistant Principal.

Rowley believes that the students come before anything else and he wants to have a positive influence here at the school. He’s been researching Alta’s traditions and history to be the best principal he can be for the school.

“I want to continue the great things that are happening at Alta High,” he said. “Over time, if there are things we can strengthen, then that is what I want to do.”

Students love Dr. McGill and are very sad to see him go, but he is moving on to another position at the district and will impact all students and schools.

Mr. Rowley is already working hard to better the school and promises to do what’s best for the students.