Hawkeye Poll: Students Choose Their Favorite Thanksgiving Food

Students Vote Mashed Potatoes as Best Thanksgiving Food the Second Year in a Row

It is all about the potatoes! For the second year in a row potatoes win as the student’s choice for favorite Thanksgiving food.

Thanksgiving is only a week away, and with it comes the transition from fall to winter, vamped up holiday shopping, and the preparation of glorious Thanksgiving food and gatherings of friends and families to enjoy it all.

We all know what is traditionally served with a plate of turkey breast and mashed potatoes smothered with gravy with an additional side serving of stuffing, sweet potatoes, or cranberry sauce and for desert a slice of pumpkin pie and whipped cream.

But out of all of those delicious delicacies mashed potatoes is considered the best food of all. Well as said before, mashed potatoes and gravy has been voted as the best Turkey Day food by students.

Student Kingston R. Ruby said mashed potatoes are a great addition to Thanksgiving dinner. “It honestly goes well with almost anything during Thanksgiving,” he said. “It’s also available to everyone.”

Turkey came in second with stuffing following at a close third.

Mashed potatoes and turkey form the base of the meal …. perhaps everything else is for decoration and color. Think about it, the mashed potatoes, turkey, and gravy are blah in color. The cranberry sauce, yams, and green beans let everyone enjoy the meal in “living color.”