Yearbook Archives

Students pose for a photo at the 2022 Sweethearts Dance in the commons.

Students Plan for “This Magic Moment,” the 2023 Sweethearts Dance

The dance is Saturday, February 4th from 8-10 p.m. Online Tickets are $10, and $15 at the door.

Excitement is in the air! The 2023 Sweethearts Dance is almost here!

This girls choice dance, one of the most anticipated dances of the year, will take place inside of Alta commons on this Saturday. The dance runs from 8 to 10 p.m.

Dance organizers Mrs. Summerhays and Mrs. Vellinga, both CTE teachers, want students to remember “This Magic Moment,” this year’s theme.

When asked why they think this dance is one of the most looked forward to events of the school year, they cite the “semi formal dress and the romantic theme of the evening” which is something that appeals to students. It’s also in the middle of winter and something fun to look forward to.

The dance is also a girl’s choice and that helps.

For Senior Chelsie Dibble, this dance is a chance to “pamper” herself a bit. Dibble plans to get a pedicure and she has bought a new dress. Dibble figures she’s into the event $300-400.

Austin McElvoy plans on making a fun senior memory. McElvoy thinks it’s fun to dress up super fancy. He plans to recyle his “fashionable italian cut gray suit” that he wore to Prom last year, but he will get a new tie for this occasion.

When it comes to expense, this dance is not quite as expensive as the Junior Prom, but it does set students back a bit. Since it’s a girls choice dance, girls will bear the brunt of the expense. Taylor Hadfield figures he’ll spend $40 on the dance. Samantha Smith, on the other hand, estimates she’ll be into the dance at least $250 including dress, boutineer, shoes, and nails.

Junior Drew Monson is excited about the dance, but he’s not looking forward to buying new clothes. “I have to buy a new shirt and tie to match my date’s dress,” Monson said. “I take pride in what I wear, but buying fancy clothes is a little more stressful.”

“This Magic Moment,” the theme, was inspired by the song of the same name by Ben E. King and The Drifters, and was picked by the Serena Jefferson and the FCCLA presidency, one of the dance  sponsors.