Members of the Alta High tennis team are eager to start playing despite cold and snowy weather.

Weather Impacts the Start of the Tennis Season

After coming in first place and going undefeated in region last year, the hawks look forward to the 2023 spring season. Right now the Hawks are 1-1 in overall play and 1-0 in region. This year they will participate in 14 total matches including the two they have already played in.

One of the hawk’s top player last year was Griffin Schroeder, he said, “The hawks had a lot of success last year and I’m excited to see how things work out this spring. I have a lot of trust in these guys and know that we can do really well”

Tennis is a very mental sport, as it is physical. It is also a very individual sport, but can be very team oriented too.

This spring was different from last year though, with delays from snow and other bad weather. The team had to shovel off the tennis courts to be able to practice.

Coach Bree Debry is excited for the boys to hit their stride and show what they can do. Even though the weather issues including shoveling snow off the courts, have been frustrating, she knows the boys have talent and can do well. “It has been a rough start with match cancellations due to weather,” she said. “I am excited to see what we can do this year.”

Sam Wray likes the individuality of tennis, he said “I love that it is individual, it is easier to push myself to get better. I also really enjoy the team aspect of the sport as well, it’s fun to go watch my teammates do well.”

Max Schroeder has been playing tennis since he can remember. He said even though there were delays with snow and other weather, he’s “really excited to get the season started and is looking forward to learning from his teammates.”