learningscientists.org

Music Impacts Student Mental Health

“No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious & charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful.” ― Kurt Vonnegut

For many people around the world, music gives us an escape from the stress and anxiety, but what music does Alta listen to the most and why is that the case.

“Students like to listen to music because it gives them a distraction from the stress and worries that comes with school,” Carson Rex said. “It allows students to focus on the task at hand and not worry about outside sources that are more common without music.”

These relieves of stress make students more likely to complete their work. Researchers at the University of Nevada at Reno in their article, “Releasing Stress Through the Power of Music” report that “Music can quiet your mind and relax your muscles, making you feel soothed while releasing the stress of the day. Music is effective for relaxation and stress management.”

“It is a quick and easy way to relieve stress, and it gives students something to look forward to while they do their work,” said Evan Zuniga. “Students are excited to get to their class and listen to the music and it gives them motivation to behave well and get work done.”

Stress is one of the biggest issues that high school students experience. To have something as accessible as music has such a big effect on students.

A Stanford study, notes that music can have a similar effect on the mind and body as relaxation techniques. Living a stressful life can cause depression, substance abuse, and suicide. To have a wide and common source to relieve stress is crucial everyone.

Alta students concur with both studies, but what music style is most popular? With 39 percent of Alta students listening to Hip Hop/Rap, it comes in at first place among various music genres. Next is Pop music, which got 13 percent of Alta’s vote, and Modern Rock coming in a close 3rd with 12.5 percent.

Alta students like all types of music and students listen to what works best for them.

Music doesn’t help with only stress. For every human emotion we have a song for that same emotion. When you listen to positive music, it will make you feel positive. If you listen to upbeat music, you feel very energetic. When you listen to a sad song, it makes you feel sad. 

“Rap Music is popular because it is very trendy. People like to copy their friends and if their friends listen to rap, then they will listen to it,” Simon Katz said. “Trends are very common in today’s society, especially among teenagers.”

Hip Hop/Rap was the most popular among Alta students. Rap music is a very broad genre of music. If you want a lot of energy, you could listen to someone like Denzel Curry. If you want an upbeat and happy artist you could listen to Kanye West, If you like lyrics and messages in music, Lupe Fiasco would fit the bill. Rap has a lot of options and its wide variety of styles is why it is so popular.

Music has a major impact on all students who utilize its advantages. Music gives us a space where it is possible to relax and focus on what we are doing. We can allow ourselves to show emotion through music. Everyone will have their own personal music choices that fit their personality and gives people something to relate to.