COVID-19 Vaccine Poses Questions and Concerns

The time has come, the new COVID-19 Vaccines provide the ability to put an end to nearly year-long pandemic. But why is the rollout taking so long? Who will get the vaccine first? Why did my neighbor get it before me? What is the difference between the two versions of the vaccine? All of these are questions asked by citizens of the US, anxious to return back to their normal lives.

The CDC explains that a lot of factors go into distributing the vaccine, including age, underlying health conditions, and occupations. So far, there are three phases to the vaccine rollout: Phase 1a goes to healthcare personnel and residents of long-term care facilities. Phase 1b goes to front line workers and people 75 or older. Phase 1c will go to people aging 65-74, 16-64, and other essential workers.

The vaccine rollout is falling short of people’s expectations as the vaccine is in short supply right now. As of January 6, 2021 in Utah, we are in Phase 1a with an emergency status on the vaccine rollout, when other states like Oklahoma and Washington are in Phase 1b. 

Utah’s coronavirus information website states, “While the first doses of the vaccine have arrived, we only have a limited supply.” the website explains, “More vaccines will be available over the next few weeks and months.”

There are two different types of vaccines for COVID-19. One option is the Pfizer Vaccine and the other is the Moderna Vaccine. Both have been approved for use against the spread of COVID-19 and were made and approved in the same year as the very first case of the virus. There is one main difference between the two vaccines and that is the efficacy.

Studies show that the Pfizer vaccine showed efficacy of 95% and the Moderna vaccine was 0.9 percent below that, measuring at 94.1% efficacy. Even though there is a difference between the effectiveness of the vaccine, people receiving the vaccine will likely not get a choice between the two.

It seems that the world is finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for the pandemic with the vaccine rollout finally catching some momentum. While supplies for the vaccine are still low, as availability builds up more and more people will gain access to getting vaccinated.