Image courtesy of CTEC

Students at the CTEC EMT program get experience that will propel them to careers in the medical field.

CTEC Gives Students a Jump Start on Careers

For upcoming Juniors and Seniors, now is the time to start thinking about possible career paths, and what you would like to possibly study in college or a trade school. For a large amount of people today, college is an enormous amount of time and money, with many people studying for over four ears, and coming out with massive amounts of student loan debt. What many people do not realize is that there are many opportunities to jump start your college career, find something you enjoy doing (before going to college), and spend a lot less money in the process. 

Canyons School District has a campus called CTEC, or Canyons Technical Education Center. Students at CTEC are exposed to many different forms of education along with many career opportunities. By attending CTEC, “Students have the opportunity to build a solid foundation, gain college credit, gain industry certifications, experience varied learning opportunities, find a career, and make friends in the process.” Says Janet Goble, principle of CTEC. 

CTEC offers over 37 courses within 16 categories, such as criminal justice, or cosmetology. By completing these courses, students have the chance to earn real-life certifications, along with college credit applicable to over 4 different colleges within the state of Utah. By doing so, when students graduate and enter college, they will have already completed some required courses.

Another benefit of CTEC is that students also earn credit within high school, ranging from .5 to 2 credits depending on the length of the course. This is a great way for students to gain real life, hands on experience, and double-dip with college and high school credits simultaneously. Also, CTEC classes average around 20 kids per class, with up to 400 total throughout the campus, creating a somewhat small, comfortable environment.

I have learned a lot about diesel mechanics over the past few months, And overall, my knowledge of both cars and trucks has greatly expanded. It was a fantastic experience and I highly recommend it to anyone thinking of taking the class.

— Austin Belnap

“I have learned a lot about diesel mechanics over the past few months, And overall, my knowledge of both cars and trucks has greatly expanded. It was a fantastic experience and I highly recommend it to anyone thinking of taking the class.” Says Austin Belnap, an Alta High junior. He further explained that by attending Diesel Mechanics, he has been able to land a job at a local mechanics shop and earn a promotion due to his knowledge. 

Another student, Andy Larson, who took the EMT program, explained that he enjoyed learning and practicing lifesaving measures because they will be with him throughout his lifetime. “Knowing what to do in an emergency is a valuable skill,” he said. 

CTEC is beneficial towards students in countless ways. Whether it be gaining college credit, high school credit, real-life experience, or landing a job. I highly recommend that upcoming Juniors and Seniors read into the programs and find something that peaks their interest.