Jaycey Bennion

The gym remodel is going great, with newly painted school symbols and colors on the walls. The gym floor is curing so it won’t warp once it’s laid.

Alta’s Construction Moves to Gym and Kitchen

Construction on Alta high school has been an ongoing endeavor, starting 2018 and almost done in 2021. With the Performing Art Center, Secretary Offices and some outdoor additions getting wrapped up they started working on the gym and kitchen! 

Anna Defour, a freshman, stated, “I’m excited for the gym because we’ll have more space to run around.”

Renovation on the gym has been going smoothly. The walls have been painted in the school colors, and they’re getting ready to lay down the floor. However, because of the humidity, the wood is too wet to use right now. But Mr. Steven Bailey, an assistant principal, said that the wood could dry out within two weeks.

The volleyball team has had to make some major adjustments while the gym is under renovation. Haven Anderson, a member of the volleyball team said that the team has had to practice in other school’s gyms, making it difficult to plan. However, she also said that all of the volleyball teams practice together, creating a fun experience for everyone involved.

Without the lunch workers, kitchen, and cafeteria the school simply wouldn’t function, so the remodeling of the kitchen is a really big deal. The only downside is that students that get lunches from school don’t have the greatest options anymore. The lunches are made at Indian Hills then being brought to Alta, there isn’t much they can do for food options. 

After four years of renovations, students are excited about their new performing arts classrooms, the new auditorium, the new commons. The gym and the kitchen remodels are the final projects in the whole school redo.

Chloe Roman, a sophomore involved in theatre and other activities says she is excited for two things, “I’m mostly excited for the new theatre and music classrooms as well as the gym because it will give us more space and also, better food, since of the new kitchen.” 

With the renovations going on for several years now, students and staff all excited to see the end the construction at Alta.