Uinta National Forest

Now is the Time to Enjoy Fall Scenery

Fall has just arrived, and the leaves are starting to change!  Many people enjoy hiking in the fall colors or taking a Sunday drive up the canyon to witness this change. Up in high elevations the leaves are quickly gaining color, and the valleys will follow shortly. As the trees begin to fill with color, some of the best spots to enjoy the fall leaves this year include:

1. Alpine Scenic loop and Cascade Springs: This destination is by far one of the most popular destinations for scenic fall views. Connecting Provo and American Fork canyon, this quiet road has miles of beautiful scenery. Nearby Cascade Springs offers a great hike with boardwalks, bridges, waterfalls, and of course, great fall colors. Only 0.8 miles, it is a great evening walk to meander and take pictures.
  2. Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons: A quick drive can bring you to these amazing fall destinations. With a wide variety of hikes including Bell canyon, Gloria Falls, and Red and White pine trails, you are sure to find a great place to explore the beautiful fall colors. Even just a scenic drive or bike ride can provide a great fall experience up these scenic canyon roads. Looking for an evening outing? Big cottonwood canyon offers some great riverside day sites for cookouts. Luckily, you’ll often find these spots are significantly less crowded than in the summer time.
  3. Nebo Loop: Though its a bit of a drive, the Nebo Scenic Byway is one of the top scenic loops in Utah. Winding its way through the Uinta-Wasatch National forest, around Mt. Nebo, and right past Devils kitchen, this is a beautiful and photo worthy destination even without the extra blast of fall color. Created specifically as a scenic byway, you will be able to avoid semi trucks and through traffic.
  4. Provo Canyon: Provo canyon is one of Utahn’s favorite canyons. You can pass through this beautiful canyon on your way to the Alpine loop or Aspen groves. However, looking for something more than a drive? Provo canyon hosts the Provo river, and some fall insect hatches provides great fly fishing. Alongside Bridal Veil falls hike, another great activity up this canyon, this is truly a magnificent ecosystem. You could also visit Deer Creek Reservoir, or have a picnic at the beautiful Vivian park. All of which are connected by an asphalt trail down much of the canyon, and allows for some great walks and bike rides.
  5.  Mirror Lake Highway and Ashley National Forest: Mirror Lake Highway in the Uinta Mountains is a must when looking for beautiful nature experiences, and  the area is already bursting with colorful aspen leaves! The Uinta’s are a quiet fall destination that offers innumerable hikes and hosts thousands of lakes. Lower elevations provide the best coloring. This mountain range is  a great place to camp and hike, and while some areas are busy, it is easy to find a remote place to get away from the crowds.
    • Nebo Scenic Byway

• Big Cottonwood Canyon

• Uinta National Forest

• Bridal Veil Falls in Provo Canyon

• Alpine Loop Overlook

• Alpine Loop