NPR

Encanto: Watch or Avoid?

Will this movie charm your day?

Disney Animation Studios’ Encanto tells the tale of an extraordinary family, the Madrigals, who live hidden in the mountains of Colombia, in a magical house, in a vibrant town, in a wondrous, charming place called an Encanto. The magic of the Encanto has blessed every person in the family with a unique gift from super strength to the power to heal every child, except one, Mirabel (Stephanie Beatriz). When Mirabel discovers that the magic surrounding the Encanto is in danger, she decides that as the only ordinary Madrigal, she might just be her family’s last hope.

A great movie to watch with family or friends, Encanto carries on Disney’s culturally diverse stories such as Coco, Moana, and Luca. The movie stars Stephanie Beatriz as Mirabel, Luisa Jessica Darrow as Luisa, John Leguizamo playing Bruno, Dolores Antonio Adassa as Dolores. Encanto is definitely worth the watch. 

Critic Reviews:

“Encanto earns its tears.”

Sara Michelle Fetters, MovieFreak.com

“It’s overblown at times and a bit too busy – visually, emotionally, and as narrative – but its vibrancy and ingenuity are hard to resist.”

Mark Feeney, Boston Globe

“Encanto ends up being overwrought rather than enchanting.”

Aparita Bhandari, Globe and Mail

“Encanto” is a lively, lovely, lushly enveloping digitally animated musical fairy tale.”

Owen Gleiberman, Variety

“While the narrative doesn’t totally land, the voice cast is solid and the vibe is consistently joyous.”

Brian Truitt, USA Today