Spring Sports Athletes Mourn the Loss of the Season

Soccer boys celebrate the season March 13th, their last time together as a team.

Sydni Smith, Sports Editor

The corona virus has taken something away from everyone, something they have been looking forward to or been working really hard for. With school cancellation came the cancellation of all spring sports, which took away opportunities for so many student athletes. 

For all sports, there was lots of hype for this coming season. For both boys and girls lacrosse, it was the first year as a sanctioned sport and they both had hopes of going far. After winning the region title last year, softball was rallying to work hard this season. Boys soccer, who had the chance to play 5 games and was working to make this season a memorable one. Track and boys tennis were both working extra hard in the weeks leading up to the start of the season to be in shape to have a great season, while girls golf was hoping to have as good of a season as they did last year. 

All the coaches wish things had gone differently. Track Coach Heather Heffner said that even one more practice would have been amazing, especially for the seniors. For the one track meet the team did have, they represented Alta well and had promises for a good season that was cut short. “I wish things had turned out differently,” Heffner said. “We had much to prove before the season ended.” 

For the Soccer Team, a year of solid hard work was shattered when the season ended. Coach Mckenzie Hyer said the team started last June by going to soccer camp at Snow College and they played together throughout the summer and fall, jumped into the indoor season and conditioning, all in anticipation for an amazing season. “The end of the season was a hard blow to our hearts,” Hyer said. “I have shed many tears to see it end before anyone was able to show what hard work and unity can produce.”

In spite of unfulfilled dreams, Hyer knows Alta Soccer is a family and they will succeed in the future as they “hold tight to the past.”

For the softball team, they had the chance to play some games before their season was cancelled. “If you would’ve asked me then if I thought that schools would be closed and that the remainder of my girls’ season would be taken from them, I would’ve thought you were crazy,” said Coach Carley Campbell. “But here we are.”

Now, everyone looks back on what would have been their last game, their last practice, or their last interaction with their team, and they have feelings of sadness. “I feel for the seniors,” Campbell continued. “My one senior had no idea that her last at bat against Corner Canyon would be her last one as an Alta Hawk. That crushes me. To not know that your last game is truly your last, is a sting that never really heals.”

For many seniors, they went to their last practice without even knowing it. And for those who aren’t moving onto college sports, there is no more for them.  “It sucks not to be able to play this season, and there were big hopes,” said Freshman lacrosse player Ian Smith. “I feel really bad for the seniors not being able to play their last year.” 

Senior track athlete Morgan Jensen, felt the sting of the season’s abrupt end because she was excited to see if she could improve and get ready for her fall scholarship. “It’s is horrible to have the season cancelled,” she said. “I was so excited for this track season!” 

Many are trying to continue to stay active during this pandemic, whether it be by  doing workouts given by their coaches, running, and just overall working out by themselves. For everyone, athlete or not, COVID-19 has had a huge impact our society, country, and even the world. 

• Track

• Track

• Track

• Track relay team

• Softball

• Softball

• Soccer boys celebrate the season March 13th, their last time together as a team.

• Lacrosse

• Lacrosse

• The baseball team takes the field.

• Kaden Lapp

• Rhett Turley, Austin Reich, Braydon Simkins, and Ashton Renfro

• Boys’ Lacrosse Team

• Girls’ Golf Team

• Varsity Lacrosse celebrates.

• Varsity Lacrosse Team