Tips for Self-Care during Quarantine

Courtesy of Ted Talks

Take time to manage your self care during times of stress and when you feel helpless.

Bridgette Bond, Staff Writer

With our ever changing world it’s hard for teens to keep their mental health strong during this mass isolation period. It’s important for students to do things to benefit their mental health now more than ever. Many teens around the world are feeling depressed and anxious during this time, but there are many ways to keep mental health strong during quarantine

Communication: Many teens are missing their friends and loved ones right now, and it is recommended to stay in contact with the people we love. If you are feeling down in quarantine, call or facetime a friend or family member, or shoot a text. Starting a conversation and having someone to talk to is always good.

Self care: It’s important to practice self care habits, especially now. It’s important to take breaks from school work or other things that may be stressful during this time. It is recommended to eat healthy and get exercise while students are stuck inside all day. Self care also includes things like personal hygiene and getting plenty of sleep. All of these self care habits can contribute to having good mental health.

Schoolwork: Online school can be stressful for students and is a big change from what they are used to. Keeping up with schoolwork can be a good way to prevent stress. Doing assignments when they are due and keeping up with the work will make your life easier in these hard times. Schoolwork is also a good way to fill to time and feel productive

Staying busy: Many students are feeling very bored, many of them unable to leave their houses. Finding a hobby or learning a new skill is a great way to be productive and stay busy. Doing these things can help teens feel a sense of accomplishment during the quarantine. It’s also important to remember you don’t have to constantly do things. It’s okay to have lazy days as well as productive days. Finding a balance between both is great for your mental health.

News and Anxiety: The virus is something that is causing many people stress and anxiety around the world. Watching the news is a good way to know what’s going on in the world, however, it can also cause a lot of anxiety if you watch too much. The world is scary but it’s important to focus on the positive and sometimes watching the news can be harmful, or helpful. It’s also smart to not believe everything you read or hear, and if you have questions, make sure you have positive credible sources for your information.

Mental health is something that teens are encouraged to work on during this time and can make the quarantine much easier. Stay connected to family and friends, practice self care, and stay productive. It’s okay to struggle with mental health right now, so keep your head up and stay safe.