Jessica Schwarz

Members of the Boys Cross Counrty team set their watches for their race at Jordan High School this season.

Cross Country Gets Ready For State

9 Runners Qualify For State

If the  energizer bunny could pick a sport, he’d be a cross country runner because he never stops.

This year’s team is just like the energizer bunny running three mile courses in practice so they can navigate the physical stress at each cross country event.

The team is pumped as nine of the Alta runners qualified for state. Their daily workouts and hard work throughout the season have paid off and Coach Becca Bennion is looking forward to see how these qualifiers match up in state competition. “Their hard work day in day out shows,” she said.

Those qualifying for state include Cameron Archer, Jack Jensen, Aiden Neal, Seth Bell, Cooper Walbeck, Ethan Mendes, Curtis Haymore, Chelsey Morton, and Katie Koski.

The team admits that running has created a positive “clique” for them and a place to belong. Runner Grace Anderson admits that you can’t go running without good friends. “Everyone on the team kind of supports each other really well,” she said. “We like to hang out together.”

Cross Country develops mental toughness,” she said. “Running increases endurance and the ability to get through hard things.

— Coach Becca Bennion

Hanging out for them includes two hour runs after school. Cross Country isn’t just about running, it’s about the dedication. It takes team work and it could help you go a far into college.

Coach Becca Bennion believes that cross country is a great sport that transfers to all other sports because good conditioning is a must in every sport and having the ability to endure and hang on in times of stress is good.  “Cross Country develops mental toughness,” she said. “Running increases endurance and the ability to get through hard things.”

Bennion wishes more students understood how running helps them in so many ways, not only physically, but mentally as well. “It helps kids be tough and handle hard issues and experiences,” she said.

Cameron Archer who qualified for the state race says, “My biggest strength is being able to push through tough obstacles and challenges.”

This is a good thing to have in this sport because it is all about pushing through when you feel like quitting.

Aiden Neal who also qualified for state says, “I try to get hyped before the race and help the rest of my team prepare. I wake up at 5:30 every morning to run and the races are where there is something to prove.”