This+years+Shakespeare+Team+performs+their+ensemble+piece+Mast+of+your+Liberty+before+they+headed+off+to+the+High+School+Shakespeare+Competition+at+Cedar+City+last+week+where+they+took+third+place+honors+for+their+group+performance.+

Sam Mazuran

This year’s Shakespeare Team performs their ensemble piece “Mast of your Liberty” before they headed off to the High School Shakespeare Competition at Cedar City last week where they took third place honors for their group performance.

Shakespeare Team Claims Third at Cedar City Competition

This year's Shakespeare Team proves to be their own master of their liberties.

This year’s Shakespeare team took 3rd at last week’s Utah Student Shakespeare Festival. 

Director Linze Struiksma is amazed at what the team pulled off by coming together and making last minute changes because of rain. “They all handled things with determination, maturity, and adaptability,” she said. “I was very proud of them.”

Not only did they accomplish beating rival teams, but they also made it into the hardest divisions-for the first time.

“It was the first time in the hardest divisions, but we definitely proved our position and left a mark,” said team member Mars Roman.

“It was amazing to be in a new and bigger division, maybe a little intimidating but we were ready,” added Brody Gibbs or Benedick.

It was amazing to be in a new and bigger division, maybe a little intimidating but we were ready.

— Brody Gibbs

The cast itself is also quite diverse with actresses/actors of all ages. Freshman Taylor Fairbourne who played Charles thought the whole experience was amazing. “I had a really great time,” he said. “Being able to get closer to the cast has strengthened the relationships I’ll treasure.”

The team shared their feelings with their rivals who had said that Alta didn’t belong among the other teams. After they made third, they definitely felt otherwise.

“We belong!” said Brody Gibbs and Addison Scarborough. That statement marks a new beginning for these Shakespeare enthusiasts.

The team has spent the last month or more mastering individual scenes and an ensemble piece titled, “Master of Your Liberty.” They all agree their hard work “paid off.”

The ensemble piece tells the tale of a company of diverse people as they perform different skits and stories to share the overall message of empowerment. The performance also advocates for a ‘more than my gender’ movement. Saying “mind of a man, might of a woman.”

Several of the cast have shared appreciation for a more public stand on gender equality.