Constance Van Woerkum

This year’s track season is anything but normal. Rain, Wind, and Snow have cancelled meets and moved practices indoors. The team did have an abbreviated meet with Timpview March 22 where they ran four events. Freezing temperatures kept athletes on their toes!

Track Team Practices Indoors and Hopes for Warmer Temperatures for Upcoming Meets

While they wait for warmer temperatures and the snow to melt, many track athletes are running indoors. A few are braving the cold temperatures and going for longer runs outside.

Student track athletes are eager to hit the turf and participate in a sport they love.

There is one problem this year …. the snow is piled high, the winds are blowing, and it’s really cold.

It isn’t a normal spring, but students are preparing and conditioning so they will be ready to hit the ground running and participate in track once the snow melts and the sun comes out.

The Track and Field program has been around Alta since the school opened in 1978 and has a long tradition of excellence and support from athletes. Competitions bring out the best in them.

Students who participate will have a range of events to choose from including sprints, endurance runs, hurdles, long jump, pole vault, shot put, discus, javelin, and relays.

Students who participate in track will have a range of events to choose from including sprints, endurance runs, hurdles, long jump, pole vault, shot put, discus, javelin, and relays. Track provides a home for everyone who enjoys the sport.

After hearing this, Micah Snell said, “Wow, I had no idea there were so many events to choose from, I always thought it was just running.”

Coach Bennion has been coaching the Alta high track team for four years and this is her second year as head Coach. When asked why students should take an interest in track, she said “There’s always something for everyone, whether it’s running, jumping or throwing.”

When asked what her favorite part of track and field was she responded, “If I had to choose one, it would have to be the meets. There is always something fun going on. She also said, “Though track and field can be pretty individual, there is also the team feeling to it while competing, and that’s what makes it fun.”

Macey Rockwood is participating in track right now and is planning on participating in the sprints and long jump. “I love running track, I’ve done it since I was in elementary school,” she said. ā€œIā€™m especially excited for the meets to start.ā€

Conner Crow said, “That’s awesome, the track team sounds like a lot of fun. Endurance running wouldn’t be my thing, but I like sprinting.”