The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Club Rush – It’s Not Too Late!

Clubs lined the walls of the commons earlier this week as Alta kicked off the school year with their annual “Club Rush.”
Alta’s Pacific Islanders Club plays music and welcomes students to come and learn about their club and culture.

Alta held its annual “Club Rush” earlier this week to help kick off the school year. Every year at Alta High there is an event known as Club Rush where all students are allowed to join clubs. Club Rush was held on September 6th and the 7th in the commons including brand new clubs such as the Pickleball club which hasn’t been done before, a club thats been a long time coming as the sport has started to pick up more traction and interest from students.  There were many different clubs in attendance, big and small, ranging from the Science Club & Creative Writing, all the way to Latino’s In Action and Wrestling where Justin Stanworth, a wrestler, showed me what club rush was all about, giving me a warm welcome and saying “Anyone is welcome to join.”

When students walked into the commons during lunch on Wednesday and Thursday they were greeted with tables full of students, encouraging their fellow students to join their clubs and engage with them. Clubs used various tactics to entice potential members from handing out candy, putting names in a raffle, to playing music and games.

Clubs usually meet once a week after school but it depends on what the topic is to decide the activity. Some students may wonder how they can start a club, but the answer is simple, Ms Lister who is in charge of Club Rush says this: ”To create a club you will need to talk to her beforehand, have 7 members and a teacher advisor,” that way they can be well supervised and official. If you missed Club Rush theres no need to fret however, students are still encouraged to check with Mrs. Lister to see if they can find something they’re interested in. It’s not too late!