The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Breaking NEWS: School Bathrooms Aren’t Locked Forever

Here at Alta, we are filled to the very brim with students, so why are we only allowed to use one bathroom during class? Since the end of last year, the staff at Alta implemented a new rule which has carried into this school year. During class, all students are only allowed to use the main bathrooms by the front office. How are the staff enforcing this when there are so many students? During class, trash cans are placed in bathroom entrances and hall monitors sit in front of the bathrooms to make sure no one goes in. Admin also became very strict with hall passes, making it clear to teachers that students MUST have a hall pass if they leave during class. Therefore, only one person is allowed out of the classroom at a time. Instead of kids focusing on the lesson, they are focused on waiting for the person before them to get back. 

Two students were asked how they felt about the bathrooms being locked during class. The first student complains, “It sucks. Some of the little freedom we got in the school was taken.” The second student feels the same way, “It’s both an inconvenience for students and staff. For example, hall passes are gone longer because of the single restroom open.” This student also includes that, “Teachers and staff have to be aware that bathroom breaks will take longer because of the bathroom’s location.”

In response to why bathrooms are closed during class, Assistant Principal Crockett said, “We want students to know they can use the bathroom whenever they need to; and all we ask is they have a hall-pass.  This way teachers know who leaves their classroom, and hall monitors and administration know who is supposed to be in the hallways.”  

When asked was if this rule will ever go away, Crockett replied, “Yes, this rule will ease up shortly.” This rule will go away as students understand the expectations of hall passes and fewer discipline infractions happen in the bathrooms. “We believe it does (keep students in class),” Crockett said. “In regards to just having the main bathrooms open, we can make sure that students are entering the bathroom only for the reasons the bathrooms are meant to be used for, and not for other dangerous or destructive activities.” 

In conclusion, even though this restriction is slightly irritating to most of the student body, it was put in place for a good reason and will go away with time. Until then, we will continue to use the main bathrooms.