The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

What Really Is The Multicultural Dance?

The Multicultural Dance is coming up on October 14th as the next dance. Many students here at Alta High School have seen the Multicultural Dance on the Events Schedule and have no idea what it really is. If Alta students want to be part of a fun and unique dance, but they don’t know anything about it, here’s everything they need to know about the dance, and why they should attend it!

The dance is made for anyone and everyone, regardless of your culture, as its purpose is actually to unify all Alta students. This innovative dance was created and organized in unity with the LIA (Latinos in Action) organization, SASA (South Asian Student Association), and POP (People of the Pacific) club,  in order to make an opportunity for people of all cultures to have the chance to showcase their cultures a bit more and enjoy all kinds of music.  This year’s theme is Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), a Mexican tradition in which people remember their diseased loved ones and celebrate their memory. For the theme, students will get the opportunity to dress up as Catrins and Catrinas, the traditional costume of Day of the Dead, a colorful skeleton costume that symbolizes the honor that is given to people that have passed. If students attend the dance and dress up, they’ll have the chance to participate in an awesome costume contest, and they will get to see other people’s creative costumes!

The Catrin and Catrina costumes consist of skeleton makeup, but with a more colorful twist. Due to the setting, it is asked that students paint only half of their face, but other than that there is no limit to the creativity that people attending can put into their costume! For reference, Catrins usually wear a suit and Sombreros, which are big Mexican hats, along with the skeleton makeup. Catrinas usually wear black dresses with touches of different colors, flowers on their hair, and the unique and colorful skeleton makeup.

Some of the students at Alta who are preparing for this incredible dance shared a little bit of their excitement for this event coming up. Jaqueline Chavez, one of LIA’s Historians this year shares, “I’m super excited to see everyone’s costume! My friends and I are planning to get together and work on our costumes. It’s a great opportunity to get creative.” One of LIA’s current presidents Chelsea Perez Rios states, “It will be such a fun event, and it’s a great opportunity for students at Alta to get involved and used to multicultural environments, and I think that’s what life is all about! We hope to see everyone there.”

The Multicultural Dance is made for everyone, and all Alta students are invited to share their cultures and be a part of a a fun and inclusive community and activity!