The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Alta Unveils Multicultural Mural for Diversity and Inclusion

Alta High unveiled a magnificent multicultural mural that celebrates the diversity of the school. Commissioned by student groups such as the Pacific Islanders Club, South Asian Student Association, and Latinos in Action, and painted by artist Bill Lewis, this mural gives so many different cultures a sense of belonging and home. 

Mayor Monica Zoltanski spoke at Alta High to show support for the newly added mural which represents unity, strength and diversity. “You can almost feel the heat vibrating off of it,” she said. “This is my community; I live just down the street and can hear the marching band practice.” The Mayor hopes students will feel inspired to work hard and feel seen with this new mural; she adds that she loves “the energy and welcoming environment” that Alta has. Mayor Zoltanski knew she had to make an appearance because of how strong the message is and because of how important high schools are to city life and the future.

Several students spoke at the ceremony and ribbon cutting about the significance of the mural to their cultures. Mrs. Lister, one of the assistant principals at Alta, also encouraged the students with her personal story of growing up as a multicultural student. “If I had something like this mural in my high school, it would have made all the difference to me.”