The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Breaking News: Governor Calls Schools To Remove Phones From Classrooms

Governor Cox calls schools to take action. In an email sent out from Cox himself he says, “I’m writing to ask you to remove cell phones from classrooms by creating a collaborative and cohesive LEA-wide policy…” Cox wants schools here in Utah to create more safe and interactive classrooms. Even though teenagers don’t want to admit it, we get distracted by our phones very easily. Which is understandable when we consider how the average human attention span is a low “8.25 seconds[,] that’s less than a goldfish” Cross river therapy explains. Cox describes how, “When phones are kept in backpacks or lockers, learning improves, distractions are fewer, student engagement increases….”
Governor Cox, parents, and staff are all starting to worry about the effects of social media and phone usage. Cox believes that phone bans/restrictions will improve students’ mental health. Governor Cox does not address how mental health is improved by these bans, however there is a video linked in the email which is supposed to show how even though kids appear happy, social media leads to bullying and low self confidence.
Let’s talk about what other schools have implemented. Olympus high school has a rule where they aren’t allowed to use devices in the classroom unless you get permission. Evergreen Junior high students aren’t allowed to use their phones from 7:45 am to 2:45pm. Cottonwood high school does something similar to Alta where phones cannot be out during class and must be traded for a hall pass. If you are caught with your phone out there are a few different consequences. Teachers now have permission to take students’ phones if they wish. Most schools give you a few chances, teachers will take your phone, then the phone will be taken to the office, and next your phone will be taken to the office and your parents will have to pick it up. In some cases, administration might get involved.

Parents might be wondering how they would get in contact with their kids. Well at Olympus high school you as a parent must contact the office to contact a student and the office will tell the student. However it’s a little different at Evergreen junior high. If a student needs something they must go to the office to contact their parents, but if an emergency occurs the office will immediately pull the student out of class. Carson Rex explains his opinion on teachers being allowed to take phones, “I think taking it till the end of class stuff like that’s okay, but when they take a kids phone and they can’t get it till after school stuff like that, that’s far.” Carson also explains how, “it’s almost an expectation that you have your phone on you at all times.” Most students can agree that if their parents need them, they just text them and tell them what’s going on. If the office has to start passing every little message to students, it may get out of hand.
With how the world is now, a ban is not so black and white. Phones are such a huge part of everybody’s lives. Teachers and parents need to teach kids how to use their phones safely, responsibly, and when the time is right. A complete ban is not the answer, but something definitely needs to be put in place.