The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Alta Hockey Team Wins JV Championship!

In crisp, frigid air, crowds were screaming, players were slipping, and pucks zipped through the air.
Over the break, Alta’s hockey club played 5 games. They played against 4 other high school teams. They also had the opportunity to go up against Alta Alumni. All of this was in preparation for the Junior Varsity Championship. Sean Patterson, a defender for the team, explains how the Alta’s team felt, “We were all very burnt out and tired.” Even though the team was tired, they pushed through and on December 29th, Alta gathered bright and early to prepare for the game.

Both teams waited anxiously to start playing. Alta and Mountain Ridge got on the ice and started warming up. Then before they knew it, they were skating across the rink for a chance to score.
Half way through the game, a player was injured. She had been hit many, many times before and got right back up, but this time the Mountain Ridge went too far. The rink went silent. Players knelt as coaches and referees made sure she was okay. Patterson explains how the “team got really mad when she was hurt.” A minute or two after the player was injured, she was able to get up. Everyone clapped and players hit their sticks on the ground in solidarity. The player who inflicted the injury was kicked off the ice for the rest of the game. As for the player who was injured, she was unfortunately unable to play for the rest of the game.

After a lot of skating, arguments, and calls the game ends. And with that, Alta wins the championship 3-0! The team became ecstatic; they previously lost the championship to Mountain Ridge so to be able to beat them and take 1st place felt amazing for them, “Our coach was so happy,” says Patterson.
Overall, this game was thrilling and adrenaline filled. Patterson explains how “it was so fun, we did amazing and we had very good teamwork.” In the end, they posed with the hats and banner they received. Now, the team’s next goal is to try to win the varsity championships.

The team has games almost every week which are free and open to the public. Follow Alta Hawks Hockey on Instagram for information on when and where games will be.