The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Rugby: Utah’s Fastest Growing Sport

Utah Warriors Rugby

Can’t get enough of football? Check out rugby! Many people think that the rules for rugby and football are the same, however, rugby has 15 players on the field instead of 11. Rugby matches are 80 minutes instead of 60, and in rugby, the ball is passed backward!  Players don’t have shoulder pads or helmets and there is no blocking to assist the runner. Playing rugby can be very dangerous, but it’s also a lot of fun.

Another difference between rugby and football is that fumbling can be good. When a player is tackled, they have one second to purposely ¨fumble” or let go of the ball, and the ball stays in play. A touchdown happens if the ball is fumbled into the end zone. If it’s any other kind of fumble, such as passing to a teammate, the ball goes to a touch-back. If the opposing team provokes the fumble in your team’s end zone, it is an automatic safety.

Even though rugby came from the town named Rugby in England, Utah is one of the country’s richest rugby communities. Rugby has always been central to Utah’s sports community at the youth, high school and collegiate levels. The Utah professional rugby team is the Utah Warriors.

Rugby is also the fastest growing sport in America. For more information, go to Utah Warriors website at warriorsrugby.com for clinics, leagues, and coaching.