The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Girls Soccer Playoff Run Ends In Second Round

Angela Ferguson

Alta’s Lady Hawks soccer team fell to Clearfield in the second round of the playoffs, bringing an optimistic season to an early end. A win against West on senior night brought the team to an 8-8 record, along with a 6-6 record in region. Despite dealing with lots of injuries throughout the season, the Hawks offensive was potent, scoring 30 goals in region play, the third most in the region.

“We can’t seem to break the second round curse, but we definitely learned a lot,” says Abba, referring to the Lady Hawks losing in the second round of the playoffs for the 5th straight season, “We learned to trust our teammates, to step up when things get hard, and we learned a lot about all of our own potentials. There’s a lot of opportunity next year, and lots of room to grow. We are gonna have a chance to do great things next year.”

The Lady Hawks had turned their focus to the playoffs, eyeing a home game versus West Jordan in the first round, a game that they won handedly, 6-0. Next, they traveled to Clearfield to take on the second seeded Falcons, a game that would end the season 6-1.

“We came into a harder region this year, with a team full of hungry, inexperienced players, and dealt with a slew of injuries throughout the season,” says forward Natalie Abba, “But despite all of those hardships we still overcame them and played with heart on the field everyday. Whether it was the team environment supporting each other, underclassman stepping up to lead, or friendships leading to increased chemistry on the field, we managed to find an answer to every problem we ran into, which was incredible to see.”