The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Alta Baseball Dives Into 2024 Season

Brad Lapp
Nolan Lohnes tags a runner out in a game last year.

As the temperature starts to climb out of the 40’s, and the snow on the ground melts away, Alta’s baseball team has been watching and preparing, ready to dig their cleats in for the 2024 season.

After a promising 2023 season, which included the teams first playoff win since 2016, the Hawks have been hard at work, looking to take that momentum with them into the new season. That hard work started with a summer season, which turned into fall workouts, before open gyms started up at the start of January, going 4 days a week. During open gyms the players work hard, knocking off the rust and honing in their skills in hitting, fielding, and throwing.

“Our offseason training has had a huge impact, and I feel really good going into the year,” says senior Logan Moeller. “We’ve been working hard and I think that work is gonna pay off.”

The team kicks off the season on March 12th with a bitter rivalry matchup against Corner Canyon. After a short non-region schedule, the team will move into a much revitalized schedule as they enter region play. The new region features district rivals Brighton and Jordan, along with Skyline, Olympus, Highland, East, and West.

“I’m excited to compete with some of the solid teams in our region,” Moeller continued. “It should be a really fun year.”

The team, coming off a good season, returns 8 of 9 starters for the upcoming season.

“We have a lot of sophomores that are ready to step up and compete and do whatever it takes to win,” says sophomore Ian Alvey. “I think our younger guys will step up in a big way.”

The team opens up the season next Tuesday, March 12, weather permitting, and appreciate Alta’s support during the season.