The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Ahsoka, Is it worth 368 minutes?

Disney%2B%2FLucasfilms
Disney+/Lucasfilms

As Alta prepares for the Winter Break, the big question is, what to binge during break? The finale of Ahsoka, the newest Star Wars series on Disney plus, was released on October 3 and, if you haven’t seen it already, keep reading!

The new Disney+ live action TV show focuses on Ahsoka as the main character where she is played by Rosario Dawson. The series takes place at the end of Mandalorian season three. 

This series is paced very slowly, especially at the beginning, following the example of past Star Wars live action television shows. The first three episodes are somewhat difficult to get through, long conversations that don’t accomplish anything and relationships that don’t make sense, even having seen everything that Ahsoka has been in. After the first three episodes it improves. The hints are explained and the pacing gets faster. The finish promises more in the future, which will hopefully be paced better. This show would not make sense without the context of at least Star Wars Rebels and the Clone Wars. For the die hard Star Wars fan this show brings back some great memories, and opens the door to exploring some things introduced in past series to be more explored, for the newcomer, this show is a story told in a language they are learning.

To most Star Wars fans she is a beloved character, many were worried about how Disney would portray her in live action. “I liked her better in animation, but I didn’t mind her as live action,” said Amelia Zimmerman, an Alta Star Wars fan who watched the show. This seems to be a common theme with all of the characters who were introduced in a different film and then given a series. “I don’t love that they’re making everything live action now,” Amelia said.

¨I liked seeing how Ahsoka evolved,”  Kate Duffin another student at Alta said.

The character of Ahsoka made her debut in the franchise in the Star Wars the Clone Wars movie, where she is introduced as Anakin Skywalker’s (later Darth Vader) Padawan. She is then in the Clone wars series, where it shows her teenage years and living through Order 66. Later she is in Star Wars Rebels, and finally makes an appearance in the Mandalorian, which was the first time viewers got to see her in live action. 

The Mandalorian was a hit when it came out, with a 93% approval rating from critics and a 92% from the general public on Rotten Tomatoes. Ahsoka and the following Star Wars television series do not exceed 86%, in either category. This is interesting to note because The Mandalorian was the only one of the newer series to use a completely unknown character. The public wants new characters and new stories, and while they do love the old, most are tired of the recycling that is rampant in the film industry, and especially in Disney. The Mandalorian was a breath of fresh air.